Have everyone share about someone they look up to. Without naming the person tell the group what it is about that person that you look up to. Why do you look up to them?
Read 1 John 2: 3-6
- What do you think it means to “know” Jesus?
- What does it say in this passage it takes to really “know” Jesus? (we obey His commands)
- What does it look like to obey Jesus’ commands? (to walk like Jesus did)
- What does it mean to “walk” like Jesus? (walk = act and live like Jesus)
- What are some examples of the way Jesus walked and lived?
- How does that translate to the way we should live?
Each of the below passages are ways that Jesus acted and lived. Explore each one using these two questions.
- How is Jesus “walking” (acting) in this passage?
- How do we do what Jesus did?
Note: In these passages, we see examples of Jesus living a certain way. For example, when Jesus heals people He gives us an example of how we should live…meaning we should take care of those who hurt and suffer. We may not be able to heal (unless we are a medical doctor), but the point is to look at Jesus’ example of a lifestyle.
John 13: 1- 17 (Jesus washes the disciples’ feet)
Matthew 4: 23 – 24 (Jesus heals the sick)
Mark 3: 31- 35 (Jesus talks about who is brothers and mother are)
Matthew 14: 13 – 21 (Feeding of the 5000)
Mark 1: 35 (Jesus goes to pray…spending time with God)
John 21: 15 – 19 (Jesus forgives and reinstates Peter)
Have each person share how they can walk more like Jesus.
Then pray out loud…having each pray for the person on their left for their walking with Jesus.
Image attribution: John Howard / Thinkstock