Many pastors and people in ministry believe boundaries to be unspiritual. But the effects of this mistaken assumption can be devastating on the leader, their family, the ministry, and even the community that they serve.
In today’s Seven Minute Seminary video, Dr. Anthony Headley helps us to realign ourselves to existing as boundaried persons, as God created us. He works through foundational theological insights and then offers five ways to practically acknowledge our need for boundaries and how to set them up.
Steps to Develop Healthy Boundaries
- Recognize that God created us for boundaried living.
- Recognize your personal limits.
- Create space to discover and rebuild your personal identity.
- Develop your assertiveness to use when necessary.
- Separate your worlds of home and work.
Quotes from this video:
“God relates to his creation through closeness and distance.” (Walter Brueggemann)
“Fences just don’t seem to mean anything anymore.” (Mr. Wilson, Dennis the Menace)
“A man’s got to know his limitations.” (Harry Callahan)
“Good fences make good neighbors.” (Robert Frost)