May 9, 2016
31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
These three words may well be the most practical words Jesus ever spoke to the human race:
DO NOT WORRY.
Why is worry so detrimental to human thriving?
1. Worry erodes faith.
2. Worry destroys trust.
3. Worry extinguishes peace.
4. Worry leads to anxiety.
5. Worry fosters practical atheism.
6. Worry robs us of joy.
7. Worry foments a scarcity mentality.
8. Worry blinds us to abundance.
9. Worry kills extravagance.
10. Worry compounds insecurity.
11. Worry activates self-centeredness.
12. Worry germinates sin.
13. Worry squelches love.
14. Worry focuses our attention on secondary issues.
15. Worry keeps us from the Kingdom of God.
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Romans 14:17.
Wesley nails it.
“Your heavenly Father knows that you have need of all these things.” And he has pointed out to you an infallible way of being constantly supplied therewith: “Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”
More on the remedy for worry tomorrow.
1. Are you a worrier? What are you afraid is going to happen? Why are you afraid?
2. Which ones of the consequences of worry in the list of 15 above give you the most concern?
3. Remember yesterday’s reading. What might it look like for you to pursue the Peace of God in the midst of the particular worry that is gripping you?
Join the Daily Text Fasting Challenge here. Whenever you sign up, it will begin the following Tuesday.
J.D. Walt, is a Bond Slave of the Lord Jesus Christ. email@example.com.