Prepare to have your mind blown. This game is a blend of capture-the-flag, hunger games, and dodgeball with a decided leader squirt gun twist. One of the great things about summer camp, besides all the time with campers, are the new games you learn and play. This summer I spent a week at Christian Athletic Camp and helped a great couple, Jeff and Shelley Szekely ,with their session of Recreational Sports.
We played original-rules baseball, world cup soccer, and Hunger Games Dodgeball.We looked forward to playing all week and it did not disappoint. All you need are dodgeballs, water guns, a couple flags, an air horn – and some great outdoor space to run.
- A Cornucopia. The cornucopia is the bag filled with dodgeballs, this is The Hunger Games twist. You can use as many as you want to, we played with about 20.
- A flag for each team – preferably large and bright. In honor of the Olympics, we used the flags for Brazil and Argentina.
- 2 “pennies” for the team medic
- A water gun (or two) for every leader
- An air Horn
- Layout the playing arena, large enough that it takes some work to get the flags back to the starting area. Woods, fields, or around the outside of church works too.
- Hide the Cornucopia of dodgeballs in the arena for the teams to find
- Have plenty of water on hand to refill leader squirt guns
Goal: Get the opposing teams flag back to the starting area
- Divide students into two even teams
- Give each their flag.
- Have each team pick a medic and have them put on the “pennie”.
- At the horn, teams go hide their flag. (give them enough time to really hide it)
- At the second horn, game begins.
- When dodgeballs are discovered, anyone is fair game except the medic.
- Leaders fan out and have fun hiding and getting kids nice and wet as they try to avoid water. Soon the sound of “medic” will fill the air as kids are frozen due to a dodgeball and great leader water aiming.
- The first team back to the starting area with the opposing teams flag sounds the air horn and they win – game over.
- If a player is hit by a dodgeball from the opposing team, the player calls for the medic until found. They are down and frozen to that spot until tagged by their medic.
- If a player of any team is hit by water from a leader, they are down and cannot move until tagged by their medic.
- The medic cannot be out even if hit by dodgeballs or water.
- Once a ball is thrown, it can be picked up by any player and used again
- The flag must be reachable from the ground and in somewhat plain sight
You can really play it up by beginning with a true Hunger Games-type speech and rules while giving the three fingered salute. Jeff really has fun with this and builds the hype before sending them off. Get ready, they’ll want to play again and again.